Roasted carrot, sweet potato and apple soup
- Dutch oven or heavy base stock pot
- Emulsion blender or Stick Master
- 500 g Carrots (peeled and cut into 3cm pieces)
- 300 g Sweet potato (peeled and cut into 3cm pieces)
- 2 Fuji Apples (or any of the sweeter verities) (peeled, cored and cut into wedges)
- 1 Celery stick (cut into 3cm pieces)
- 1 large Spanish onion (finely chopped)
- 2 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 litre Vegetable Stock
- 2 tbsp Coconut oil (or preferred cooking oil)
- 1 tsp Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup milk or cream
Preheat oven to 200ºC
Toss carrot, sweet potato, celery, apple wedges using half of the coconut oil and combine. Once mixed well, place on to baking paper and roast, tossing halfway. Remove once the carrots and sweet potato are slightly caramelised on the edges and easily pierced through by a fork. Depending on your oven this could take 20-25 min
Once the carrots are almost done roasting, in a Dutch oven or soup pot, warm the remaining 1 tablespoon coconut oil medium heat until shimmering NOT HOT. Add the onion and garlic. Cook, stirring regularly, until the onion is softened and turning translucent, 5 min.
Add roasted mix and combine for about 30 secs. You will notice the carrots and sweet potato colour intensify at which point you pour in the vegetable stock.
Allow to boil, reduce heat and cover. Cook for 1-hour. The longer you cook, the better the flavour.
Once cooked, remove from the heat. Begin with your chosen method of blending. Once processed, return to a low heat, had your choice or milk, cream, coconut cream, Combine and serve!
This soup keeps well in the refrigerator, covered, for about four days, or for several months in the freezer.